Just over a month after Lemmy’s passing and on the weekend where we would have celebrated 40 years of Motörhead at the Hammersmith Odeon, here are some new links since the last digest.
Month: January 2016
Some new links since the last digest:
- Loudwire: Motorhead’s Lemmy Kilmister Official Cause of Death Revealed
- The Stoke Sentinel: The Way We Were: Volume level at Motörhead gig made your fillings rattle
- NME: BBC iPlayer to debut tribute documentary on Motörhead’s Lemmy tonight
- Metal Talk: “Lemmy Asked Me to Join Motörhead” – Michael Schenker Interview
- Daily Record: Rockstars including Slash and late Motorhead icon Lemmy back ‘Lentil Rocks’ campaign in memory of stillborn Scots baby
- Blabbermouth: Rob Halford Remembers Lemmy: ‘He Always Lived To Win, Right To The Very End’
- SKC Magazine: Former Metallica Bassist Jason Newsted Says Lemmy Was His ‘Savior’
- Metal Injection: Sorry, That Lemmy & David Bowie Photo Is A Fake 🙁
- The Observer: The Music Lemmy Left Behind Is Even Greater Than His Myth
- Metal Hammer: Metal Hammer writer Mörat spoke at Lemmy’s funeral. Here he remembers the day, from joking with Grohl to calling Lemmy’s phone one last time…
- Blabbermouth: Food & Beverage Magazine Renames Jack And Coke In Lemmy’s Honor
- Classic Rock: Listen to the Classic Rock Magazine Show’s Tribute to Lemmy On Demand
- Agoraphobic News: Killed by Death! In memory of Ian Lemmy Kilmister
An MHB’s tribute
MHB 3530 here. As you can tell, I’ve not been a devotee for long enough, but I have amassed many good memories and a deep appreciation for Lemmy, the man, the legend, a true original. As the great saying now goes, he was born to loose, lived to win and (was) killed by death.
I too jumped in very quick after going beyond “No Sleep ’til Hammersmith”. I guess what did it for me was listening to “The World is Yours” at full blast on the bus back from High Voltage in 2011. The festival featured all kinds of bands, but when it came time to pick an album for the way back to the hotel, everyone agreed on Motörhead.
Since then, I’ve got every release on CD and many on vinyl, DVDs, shirts and more. More importantly, however, getting to meet the band and being able to watch them from stage right twice has given me stories of my own, stories of appreciation and deep respect.
What many non-MHBs may not know is that not only are the road crew part of the family in terms of treatment and respect, they are also all men of just as much integrity as Lemmy himself was. For his fellow musicians, this stands to reason, but when you find it in the crew it’s nothing short of astonishing.
I may add to this and tell my Motörhead stories some other time, but trust me, I speak from personal experience. Lemmy made sure his fans were taken good care of. We all mattered to Lemmy. I will tell the stories some day, but I’ll let those sit for a bit.
Lemmy never changed, he made others change. I do not care to know what the alternate realities without Lemmy are like, he’s that indispensable.
Have a drink, crank it up and think how you can honour his memory!
- Noisey: Motörhead Fans and Friends Paid Tribute to Lemmy at the Rainbow Bar & Grill, His Favorite Los Angeles Haunt
- Daily Mail: ‘He’s the one true rock ‘n’ roller’: Rock royalty including former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl and Slash of Guns N’ Roses give touching tributes at Lemmy Kilmister’s funeral
- Metal Hammer: In Pictures: We Went to Lemmy’s Memorial on the Sunset Strip
- Metal Hammer: Phil Campbell Explains Lemmy Funeral Absence
- Blabbermouth: Video: Motörhead’s Mikkey Dee Asks For Moment Of Silence To Honor Lemmy
- Laughing Squid: San Francisco Artists Give an Effigy of Motörhead Frontman Lemmy Kilmister a Fiery Viking Funeral
- Rolling Stone: Remembering Lemmy: Fans, Rockers Toast Metal Legend at L.A. Tributes
Some more material since my last digest:
- Californa Rock News: Metal Allegiance and Many Special Guests Pay Tribute To Lemmy At The Whisky 1/9/2015
- NME: Dave Grohl and Slash pay tribute to Lemmy at funeral of Motörhead frontman – watch
- Kent Online: Lemmy memories for Les Best as funeral takes place today of Motorhead legend
- Classic Rock: Lemmy Appears in Posthumous Milk Advert
- Classic Rock: The World According to Lemmy
Official RIP Lemmy t-shirt now available
“We have honestly been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love for
Lemmy from everyone everywhere. Sadly, we have also been upset
to see bootleggers wasting no time getting in on the act and
exploiting the situation. We have subsequently realised that you
want to commemorate him by getting something, so we are going
to do our best to supply that officially. Here is a shirt to start with,
we hope you like it, and we will endeavour to offer more in the
future, and please let us know what you would like to see.”
You can buy the t-shirt from the official Motörhead merchandise stores (US, ROW).
Petition to name new chemical element after Lemmy
Support Lemmy tribute, help make ‘Lemmium’ the new chemical name for Heavy Metal in the Periodic Table
John Wright from York has created the above petition. Now I know Lemmy played rock’n’roll, but think what would have been had he not caused the creation of metal. No Lemmy, no big four and many more!
Official Memorial Service
Motörhead issued the following statement:
On Saturday January 9th, the world will come together and celebrate the life of our friend, and legend, Ian ‘Lemmy’ Kilmister.
Family and close friends will observe a service at Forest Lawn Memorial Cemetery, Hollywood, commencing at 3pm PST and ending at 4.30pm.
With such limited space available on-site, we respectfully ask that you may not attend… but we want you ALL to be a part of this, so we are setting up a live feed of the service via the internet on Motörhead’s official You Tube channel (stay tuned for specific link details before the service).
So wherever you are, PLEASE get together and watch the service with fellow Motörheadbangers and friends. GO to your favourite bar, or your favourite club, make sure they have access to an internet connection and toast along with us.
Or simply invite your pals around and celebrate Lemmy’s life at home.
Whatever your venue, and however you can, let’s be sure to gather globally on Saturday 9th and celebrate the life of our dear friend and irreplaceable icon.
NOTE: For anyone wishing to send flowers, please contact Karen Brando at:
Flowers by Michael
+ 1 310 276-1003
If you’d like to make a charitable donation under Lemmy’s name, please go to: Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund: http://www.diocancerfund.org/
Band and crew announcements
- Classic Rock: Lemmy Dead at 70 (Contains press release)
- Classic Rock: Mikkey Dee: Let’s Make Lemmy Proud
- Classic Rock: Campbell: Turn it Up to 11, Celebrate Lemmy’s Life
- Classic Rock: Lemmy Took Cancer News Better Than All of Us – Manager
- Classic Rock: Fast Eddie: World Seems a Really Empty Place
A selection of links
- Noisey / Vice: Rock’n’Roll is Dead: One Last Toast to Lemmy Kilmister
- Nerdist: Lemmy Kilmister Was a Rock Legend (And a Bigger Nerd Than Many Realize)
- Consequence of Sound: R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister, Motörhead frontman dead at 70
- BBC News: Obituary: Lemmy, Motorhead frontman
- Sky News: Lemmy Was ‘Last True Rock Star Left’
- Wales Online: Rock royalty lead tributes to Lemmy who dies aged 70
- Kickstarter: Lemmy Kilmister and Slash Statue for Stoke-on-Trent & LA
- Wales Online: A musician with a Manic Street Preachers tribute band has recorded the Ace Of Spades in honour of Lemmy
- Classic Rock: Lemmy Memorial Set For Rainbow Bar And Grill
- BBC News: Stars pay tribute to Motorhead’s Lemmy
- Revolver: Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, Nikki Sixx and More Pay Tribute to Lemmy
- BBC News: Motorhead’s Lemmy: Your memories
- From Abba to Zappa: There goes my hero – words on Lemmy
- Loudwire: Scott Ian: Lemmy Kilmister ‘Truly Was a Modern-Day Pirate’
- Loudwire: Royal Machines Salute Lemmy Kilmister With the Help of Fred Durst, Blasko + Steve Stevens
- Loudwire: Slash Pays Tribute to Scott Weiland, Lemmy Kilmister at New Year’s Eve Show
- Metal Hammer: Thank You For Everything, Lemmy
- Rolling Stone: Ozzy Osbourne Remembers Lemmy: ‘He Was My Hero’
- Rolling Stone: Metallica’s Lars Ulrich on Lemmy: ‘His Spirit Will Always Live in Us’
- Rolling Stone: Metallica, Alice Cooper Remember ‘One of a Kind in Rock’ Lemmy Kilmister
- The Bolton News: Motorhead singer Lemmy to be remembered at Festwich 2016
- The Lad Bible: The Story Of When Liam Gallagher Met Lemmy Kilmister
- L’Est Républicaine: First Male Baby of the Year Named Lemmy
- International Business Times: Lemmy Kilmister: Top 10 quotes from the Motorhead frontman
- Wales Online: Classic interview: Lemmy – ‘Never go camping with a one armed man’
- Wales Online: Motörhead guitarist Phil Campbell joins fans at Cardiff rock bar to pay tribute to Lemmy
- Classic Rock: Caggiano Faced Wrath of Lemmy
- Official Motörhead: Lemmy (by Steffan Chirazi)
- Metal Hammer: The 20 Greatest Motorhead Songs – As Voted by You
- Metal Hammer: Motörhead: Everything Louder Than Everyone Else
- Metal Hammer: The World According to Lemmy