Tonight, a year ago, we lost the man, the legend, one of the last of a dying breed, Mr. Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister. The hole he left is more gaping than any sinkhole, but the hefty catalog of work he left us stands tall and proud among the wreckage of rock’n’roll. Take care of George and Carrie, uncle rotter!
- Noisey: Motörhead Fans and Friends Paid Tribute to Lemmy at the Rainbow Bar & Grill, His Favorite Los Angeles Haunt
- Daily Mail: ‘He’s the one true rock ‘n’ roller’: Rock royalty including former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl and Slash of Guns N’ Roses give touching tributes at Lemmy Kilmister’s funeral
- Metal Hammer: In Pictures: We Went to Lemmy’s Memorial on the Sunset Strip
- Metal Hammer: Phil Campbell Explains Lemmy Funeral Absence
- Blabbermouth: Video: Motörhead’s Mikkey Dee Asks For Moment Of Silence To Honor Lemmy
- Laughing Squid: San Francisco Artists Give an Effigy of Motörhead Frontman Lemmy Kilmister a Fiery Viking Funeral
- Rolling Stone: Remembering Lemmy: Fans, Rockers Toast Metal Legend at L.A. Tributes
John Wright from York has created the above petition. Now I know Lemmy played rock’n’roll, but think what would have been had he not caused the creation of metal. No Lemmy, no big four and many more!
Motörhead issued the following statement:
On Saturday January 9th, the world will come together and celebrate the life of our friend, and legend, Ian ‘Lemmy’ Kilmister.
Family and close friends will observe a service at Forest Lawn Memorial Cemetery, Hollywood, commencing at 3pm PST and ending at 4.30pm.
With such limited space available on-site, we respectfully ask that you may not attend… but we want you ALL to be a part of this, so we are setting up a live feed of the service via the internet on Motörhead’s official You Tube channel (stay tuned for specific link details before the service).
So wherever you are, PLEASE get together and watch the service with fellow Motörheadbangers and friends. GO to your favourite bar, or your favourite club, make sure they have access to an internet connection and toast along with us.
Or simply invite your pals around and celebrate Lemmy’s life at home.
Whatever your venue, and however you can, let’s be sure to gather globally on Saturday 9th and celebrate the life of our dear friend and irreplaceable icon.
NOTE: For anyone wishing to send flowers, please contact Karen Brando at:
Flowers by Michael
+ 1 310 276-1003
If you’d like to make a charitable donation under Lemmy’s name, please go to: Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund: http://www.diocancerfund.org/