In case you missed it when it was first published, as I did, Metalwani.com has it in full, Dr. Brian May’s tribute to our legendary hero, Lemmy:
Official Motörhead Lemmy statue unveiling
Wednesday, August 24th
at the Rainbow Bar and Grill
West Hollywood on the Sunset Strip – doors: 7pm
DJ Katon upstairs at 9pm
Repost and spread the word…..
- The Lemmy statue at the Rainbow has been fully funded!
- Heavy metal 115 still wants to be called Lemmium!
- Loyal Turkish Motörhead Fans Distribute Traditional ‘Lokma’ in Memory of Lemmy Kilmister (The Daily Sabah)
- Dave Grohl Persuaded The Grammys to Pay Tribute To Motörhead’s Lemmy (NME)
- Motörhead’s Mikkey Dee: ‘Lemmy Told Me He’d Fire Me If I Tried Drugs’ (SFK)
As anticipated, the Hollywood Vampires paid tribute to Lemmy with a shortened version of Ace of Spades:
Artisan News Service also released a video of a Q&A Paul, Lemmy’s son, did after the event:
MHB 3530 here. As you can tell, I’ve not been a devotee for long enough, but I have amassed many good memories and a deep appreciation for Lemmy, the man, the legend, a true original. As the great saying now goes, he was born to loose, lived to win and (was) killed by death.
I too jumped in very quick after going beyond “No Sleep ’til Hammersmith”. I guess what did it for me was listening to “The World is Yours” at full blast on the bus back from High Voltage in 2011. The festival featured all kinds of bands, but when it came time to pick an album for the way back to the hotel, everyone agreed on Motörhead.
Since then, I’ve got every release on CD and many on vinyl, DVDs, shirts and more. More importantly, however, getting to meet the band and being able to watch them from stage right twice has given me stories of my own, stories of appreciation and deep respect.
What many non-MHBs may not know is that not only are the road crew part of the family in terms of treatment and respect, they are also all men of just as much integrity as Lemmy himself was. For his fellow musicians, this stands to reason, but when you find it in the crew it’s nothing short of astonishing.
I may add to this and tell my Motörhead stories some other time, but trust me, I speak from personal experience. Lemmy made sure his fans were taken good care of. We all mattered to Lemmy. I will tell the stories some day, but I’ll let those sit for a bit.
Lemmy never changed, he made others change. I do not care to know what the alternate realities without Lemmy are like, he’s that indispensable.
Have a drink, crank it up and think how you can honour his memory!
Motörhead issued the following statement:
On Saturday January 9th, the world will come together and celebrate the life of our friend, and legend, Ian ‘Lemmy’ Kilmister.
Family and close friends will observe a service at Forest Lawn Memorial Cemetery, Hollywood, commencing at 3pm PST and ending at 4.30pm.
With such limited space available on-site, we respectfully ask that you may not attend… but we want you ALL to be a part of this, so we are setting up a live feed of the service via the internet on Motörhead’s official You Tube channel (stay tuned for specific link details before the service).
So wherever you are, PLEASE get together and watch the service with fellow Motörheadbangers and friends. GO to your favourite bar, or your favourite club, make sure they have access to an internet connection and toast along with us.
Or simply invite your pals around and celebrate Lemmy’s life at home.
Whatever your venue, and however you can, let’s be sure to gather globally on Saturday 9th and celebrate the life of our dear friend and irreplaceable icon.
NOTE: For anyone wishing to send flowers, please contact Karen Brando at:
Flowers by Michael
+ 1 310 276-1003
If you’d like to make a charitable donation under Lemmy’s name, please go to: Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund: http://www.diocancerfund.org/
Band and crew announcements
- Classic Rock: Lemmy Dead at 70 (Contains press release)
- Classic Rock: Mikkey Dee: Let’s Make Lemmy Proud
- Classic Rock: Campbell: Turn it Up to 11, Celebrate Lemmy’s Life
- Classic Rock: Lemmy Took Cancer News Better Than All of Us – Manager
- Classic Rock: Fast Eddie: World Seems a Really Empty Place
- Noisey / Vice: Rock’n’Roll is Dead: One Last Toast to Lemmy Kilmister
- Nerdist: Lemmy Kilmister Was a Rock Legend (And a Bigger Nerd Than Many Realize)
- Consequence of Sound: R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister, Motörhead frontman dead at 70
- BBC News: Obituary: Lemmy, Motorhead frontman
- Sky News: Lemmy Was ‘Last True Rock Star Left’
- Wales Online: Rock royalty lead tributes to Lemmy who dies aged 70
- Kickstarter: Lemmy Kilmister and Slash Statue for Stoke-on-Trent & LA
- Wales Online: A musician with a Manic Street Preachers tribute band has recorded the Ace Of Spades in honour of Lemmy
- Classic Rock: Lemmy Memorial Set For Rainbow Bar And Grill
- BBC News: Stars pay tribute to Motorhead’s Lemmy
- Revolver: Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, Nikki Sixx and More Pay Tribute to Lemmy
- BBC News: Motorhead’s Lemmy: Your memories
- From Abba to Zappa: There goes my hero – words on Lemmy
- Loudwire: Scott Ian: Lemmy Kilmister ‘Truly Was a Modern-Day Pirate’
- Loudwire: Royal Machines Salute Lemmy Kilmister With the Help of Fred Durst, Blasko + Steve Stevens
- Loudwire: Slash Pays Tribute to Scott Weiland, Lemmy Kilmister at New Year’s Eve Show
- Metal Hammer: Thank You For Everything, Lemmy
- Rolling Stone: Ozzy Osbourne Remembers Lemmy: ‘He Was My Hero’
- Rolling Stone: Metallica’s Lars Ulrich on Lemmy: ‘His Spirit Will Always Live in Us’
- Rolling Stone: Metallica, Alice Cooper Remember ‘One of a Kind in Rock’ Lemmy Kilmister
- The Bolton News: Motorhead singer Lemmy to be remembered at Festwich 2016
- The Lad Bible: The Story Of When Liam Gallagher Met Lemmy Kilmister
- L’Est Républicaine: First Male Baby of the Year Named Lemmy
- International Business Times: Lemmy Kilmister: Top 10 quotes from the Motorhead frontman
- Wales Online: Classic interview: Lemmy – ‘Never go camping with a one armed man’
- Wales Online: Motörhead guitarist Phil Campbell joins fans at Cardiff rock bar to pay tribute to Lemmy
- Classic Rock: Caggiano Faced Wrath of Lemmy
- Official Motörhead: Lemmy (by Steffan Chirazi)
- Metal Hammer: The 20 Greatest Motorhead Songs – As Voted by You
- Metal Hammer: Motörhead: Everything Louder Than Everyone Else
- Metal Hammer: The World According to Lemmy